All students test approximately every two months for new belt ranking (with the exception of the upper belts). The belt promotion date and time will be posted one month in advance. Students will be tested in class during Test week and the Belt Promotion Ceremony will conclude Test week.
Testing requirements include:
- a minimum of 16 classes since receiving current ranking;respectful attitude in class;
- achieving the required physical proficiencies;
- loyalty and dedication to the REMA school;
- satisfactory completion of the “Qualification Code” which outlines additional responsibilities as a martial artist;
- satisfactory completion of “Intent to Promote” form (under 18 years old);
- the completion of reading requirements and associated written tests.
On belt promotion day, students should have 3 Black Stripes, 1 Yellow Stripe, 1 White Stripe and at least 5 Red Stripes.
Black Curriculum Stripes represent curriculum knowledge and proficiency and are distributed during “Stripe Week” (the week preceding Test Week) and the last week of each “non-test month”. At white belt, 1st black stripe is awarded for demonstration of all 6 white belt basics; 2nd black stripe is awarded for offensive and defensive white belt basics; 3rd black stripe is awarded for demonstration of blocks and counters. At all other belts, 1st black stripe is awarded for demonstration of combinations; 2nd black stripe is awarded for demonstration of belt rank form; 3rd black stripe is awarded for demonstration of blocks and counters/sparring.
- Red Attitude Stripes-presented for completed job lists and excellence demonstrated in class
- Blue “Word of the Month” Stripes- presented for completed Word of the Month worksheets
- White Testing Stripes– presented during Test Week to show proficiency in Belt Rank Curriculum
- Yellow “Intent to Promote” Stripes– presented during Test Week upon submission of Intent to Promote form
- Gold and Silver Stars– Gold Stars reflect straight A’s in school; Silver Stars reflect A/B average